Old 03-10-2003, 12:13 AM
mel turner

Default Questions on chemistry of fruits

In article ,
[Iris Cohen] wrote...

Could you give me examples of: Parts of plants which taste fruity, but
are not fruits.
(The only example I can think of is rhubarb.)

+ + +
cashew (not the nut), juniperberry, yew berry, etc BRBR

Juniper and yew berries are fruits. They are called cones, but they contain
seeds if they are fertilized.

But these are not "true fruits" to a botanist, since they are
not developed from the ovaries of angiosperm flowers. Juniper
berries are fleshy cones not all that modified from the harder
cones of their cypress relatives; yew berries are arils, fleshy
outgrowths of the seed.

The fruity part of a strawberry is an achene. The actual fruits are those
little things all over the outside which contain the seeds. The edible part of
a pineapple is also a holder. Our modern pineapples are seedless. Not sure
which part you would call a fruit.
One notable example is the Japanese raisin tree, Hovenia dulcis. The fruits
don't amount to much, but when they ripen, the fruiting twigs become soft,
tasty, & edible.

Fleshy, edible inflorescence branches? I'd not heard of this
example. Thanks!

Neat:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/raisintree.html

[reportedly the true fruit is a drupe, not a "pod"]

http://www.edible.co.nz/hovenia/hovenia.htm

[snip]

cheers