Old 03-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Jan Flora

Default Sod Roof

In article , "AnonnyMoose"
wrote:

Anyone have any experience building a sod roof? We're thinking about
building a cordwood wellhouse with a sod roof but haven't found
instructions anywhere for this type of roofing. Can someone help?

karen

All of the cabins in my mining camp have sod roofs and a neighbor's
root cellar has one.

The traditional way is to cut small poles and lay them side-by-side
from ridge to eave, across purlins, then lay the sod on top.

The neighbor put typar (geotextile for road building dirt roads)
under the sod, so dirt from the sod doesn't sift down into the building.

Ask me questions. I'm too scattered right now to write an essay for
you on how to do it right. (I'm trying to listen to the news on the
radio and type at the same time.)

Jan, in Alaska