Old 03-10-2003, 03:32 AM
-- pelirojaroja

Default Tall, "Soft" Shrub/Plant

Thanks for all suggestions. We have tried sunflowers as a full-sun
bay window screen, which worked for a month or so and then started
leaning and looking ratty. (I love sunflowers, but not in this
instance).

I thought "non-woody" might be needed due to the proximity to the
house (avoid scratching the screens, etc.), but maybe I can find
something more "fan-shaped" that can still be woody.

I'm considering some of the taller vibernums, as well as the althea
(rose of sharon) suggested by another poster. Key is getting 10+-ft
of height (but not higher than 15-20 ft.). Winter interest is very
desirable, living here on the North Coast of Cleveland (about 1/4 mile
from Lake Erie). I may not get everything I want in one plant.

Another option I am considering is constructing a thin trellis of that
height, in front of the bay window I want screened, with possibly
morning glory, clematis, or some full-sun other climbing non-ivy vine.

Thanks again

-- peliroja-roja

"D Kat" wrote in message ...
That was it! I don't think it would work for them though on looking at it.
If it grows like corn they would only have a couple of months where they
would have screening... Same with Sunflower seeds which I thought of.

DK

http://www.jeffersoninstitute.org/pubs/amaranth.shtml

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , "D Kat"

writes:

What is that plant - begins with an A... is a wheat supstitute in part of
the world... very pretty and very tall.... (red fuzzy flowers

Amaranth

Em