Old 03-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Simon Avery

Default Hurricanes and fish

(Roy Lasris) wrote:

Hello Roy

RL All my big koi (6) died in Hurricane Isabel (we live in
RL Virginia, along the stretch where the storm hit the worst) .
RL All the small ones survived.

RL Two big trees fell w/in 30 feet of the pond. Could the
RL 'boom' of the fall created a shock wave that could kill fish
RL in the same way that breaking ice (that forms over a pond
RL during the winter) with a hammer can?

Maybe, it's a bit of a puzzler. I've read that hurricanes can do
pretty strange things to air pressure though, sailors passing through
the eye have reported such low pressure that their eyes and noses
started bleeding. Maybe something like that messed up the oxygen
content a lot?

RL Could the steady (but loud) drone of a generator do
RL anything?

No, unless it was earthing into the water.

RL Why would only the big ones die?

Suggests oxygen to me, but tbh I'm guessing a bit here.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/