Old 03-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Frankie

Default Something is taking bites out of the goldfish

We lost two fish this summer they looked like they had been skewered the sad
thing is they lived for a few days with these injuries while we treated
them. We later caught the culprit down at the pond and couldn't believe it
....a magpie!!!
We have had no further incidences but according to our local fish supplier
this is not unusual or unheard of as they are attracted by the shiny
scales....the two we lost were mirror carp with big shiny scales :-(
BTW We live in Scotland

Frankie

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
"Rodney Pont" wrote:

Hello Rodney

Or Mink? Real problem around here, thanks to the ALF
releasing a load in the 70's. I would've thought they'd
simply make the fish disappear wholesale rather than in
pieces though.

RP Again there isn't really any damage such as these sort of
RP animals would cause. I saw a picture of a Dragonfly nymph
RP hanging onto a Stickleback many years ago and it looks like
RP this. These fish aren't big and my idea that one is
RP ambushing the fish and hanging on while it chews is constant

It's possible, but I wouldn't have thought particularly likely. More
some sort of bacterial thing, I'd have thought?

Had a bloody heron at my pond this morning. ++ungood.