Old 03-10-2003, 01:02 PM
John Towill

Default My stand about GM plants/crops

"Robert" wrote in message
: Everywhere I look and turn, people are telling me to get involved and
: to make a stand against GM. I have leaflets through the door, people
: on the high street with petitions and it's all over the internet. It
: seems everyone is anti-GM right now, and they all assume I will agree
: with them and want to fight the mean GM monster (or whatever
: personification of frankenstine they've given it).
:
: Well, I can't tell you if it's safe or not - but I can say the whole
: argument has lost direction.
Spot on, I agree with you

My complaint is the oil seed rape that is being modified to withstand weed
killers. All very well except:
1) Weed killer will then be sprayed on the crop willy nilly causing damage
to other plants, including I suspect in adjacent fields and garden.
2)Rape has already spread to become a nuisance weed, killing the modified
version will become very difficult.

So my bitch is not about GM per se but the thoughtless (I think)
modifications that are being done.
cheers
John T