Old 03-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Vox Humana

Default Caryopteris (Bluebeard)

"-- pelirojaroja" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
Anyone else a fan of this plant? This is my first year to have it in
the garden, and I LOVE it! (I had never even seen it before, until I
planted it based on a gardening plan recommendation.)

It looked nice as foliage all summer, and then burst forth into
gorgeous deep blue late-September bloom. It looks good next to the
hot-pink asters, which bloomed about the same time. I had no idea the
2 Caryopteris x clandonensis plants (bushes maybe?) would grow so well
and look so good. It's nice to have something work out unexpectedly
like that, and also to know that I have an honest-to-goodness
long-blooming hardy perennial (I hope . . .).

It is really easy to propagate if you want more. I pruned mine one year and
threw the cuttings into the compost pile. Weeks later I had to move the
pile and found the cuttings alive and sprouting. The next spring I put
cuttings into containers of moist potting mix and set them in the shade.
Several weeks later they had developed roots and I transplanted them. For
some reason the original plants started to decline and eventually died. The
new plants are doing well. They give the garden some fresh color late in
the season and the bees really love them.