Old 03-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Instep

Default Hookeri

Thanks to all,

Ann

In article , Instep
writes
Can someone tell me what a "Hookeri" is?

Asking what a Hookeri is is like asking what a Japonica is, except that
Japonica does have some currency for Cydonia japonica.

There were two leading 19th Century botanists, father and son, named
Hooker, and lots of plant species were named in honour of them.
Consequently there's several hundred species named somethingorother
hookeri. See URL following.

URL:http://www.ipni.org/ipni/IpniServlet...ly=&infrafamil
y=&genus=&infragenus=&is_apni_record=on&species=ho okeri&infraspecies=&is
_gci_record=on&author_abbrev=&publication_title=&i s_ik_record=on&show_ra
nk=all&include_authors=on&include_basionym_authors =on&query_type=by_quer

(Plus a few more named hookeriana or hookerianum.)

Then again, Hookeri could be a reference to Hookera (a synonym of
Brodiaea), Hookerara (an intrageneric orchid hybrid), Hookerella (a
synomym of Loranthus, which I my memory serves me correctly is a
mistletoe) or Hookerina (a synonym of Hydrothrix, whatever than might
be).

More context required.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley