Old 03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
jane

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

Hi folk

I was lucky enough to go to this last Tuesday, on the day that it made
headline news as they are not expecting to be able to keep on funding
it... and not enough folk are going. Got interviewed by BBC Radio
Wales for my reaction, which was a bit stunned as it was the first I'd
heard!

http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/

As a gesture of thanks to all the support they are receiving from
people (but not, it seems, the politicians...) the place is open for
free on Saturday and Sunday 4th and 5th October, with voluntary
donations appreciated (normal cost £6.95).

I would recommend going, if only because it may be the last chance.
They have just finished rebuilding a double walled garden, and are
digging in green manures this week so they can bring the second half
into cultivation next year. If they can... The place is nowhere near
at it's full potential as the plantings have only been in for a
maximum of three years. But you can see where they're going if
allowed. At the moment there are a lot of plants still in flower for
inspiration if you need autumn colour.

Maps are on the website, but it's not *that* hard to find. There are a
lot of signposts. A few miles away are Aberglasney gardens and a few
other places of note for gardeners, and loads of B&Bs for low cost if
needed.

I'm not connected with it at all - just went as part of a recharging
batteries week pottering about, and am quite upset that something that
potentially good is being threatened by the penny pinchers...

--
jane

Mark Twain