Old 03-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Terry Horton

Default Oak wilt resistant(?)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:02:00 GMT, (Terry
Horton) wrote:

I read conflicting opinions regarding oak wilt and the 'resistant' oak
species recommended for our area, such as chinquapin, bur, monterey
oaks. Basically, these opinions range from 'sickened trees that die
within a few years' to 'not a problem'. Could someone please clarify
what's the latest science regarding oak wilt resistant species?

Chatted yesterday with Kim Camili(sp), state oak wilt coordinator,
about oak wilt and white oak. The answers, if my interpretations are
correct, are profound and somewhat counterintuitive...

Basically, it's safe to plant white oaks where oak wilt exists, or if
there are no nearby live oaks. But, a young white oak that matures
among healthy live oaks may contract the disease should the live oaks
become infected (via interspecific root grafting).

So you can safely plant white oak next to an oak wilt infected tree,
but not near a healthy like oak?! Bizarre.

Newly planted white oaks in an oak wilt center will _most likely_ not
form root grafts before the disease either kills the live oaks or is
blocked by new wood and tyloses in the live oak (Kim will forgive me
if I've forgotten some details of our phone conversation, but the
bottom line is the same). Ms. Camili suggested more research is
needed to fully understand how the disease might progress in white
oak.

I'm nothing of astonished by this, and would appreciate anyone
correcting any misconceptions. What a fascinating disease!