Old 03-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] PS- time release fertilizer

Vigoro is a time released product with the following:
Total Nitrogen = 15% (7.31% Ammoniacal Nitrogen and 7.69% Urea
Nitrogen

One thing we in this hemisphere should be thinking about is the end of summer. Now is NOT the time to be putting time-release fertilizer on our plants, because the release is temperature-mediated. That stuff will sit there all winter long, creating a tim
ebomb for next spring, when it will solubilize too quickly, causing a salty soil and a release of ammonia (note those nitrogen sources above; urea breaks down to ammonia). Ammonia vapor is very toxic to plants, and in a cold frame or hoop house could caus
e severe phytotoxicity before you know it.

So if you need to fertilize, use some liquid form.

Brrrrrrr- I had frost last night!!!!!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++