Old 03-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Heidi

Default squirrels eating my compost goodies

Happy Friday!

We have an open compost bin, in which I toss leaves, grass clippings,
and food scraps. The squirrels in our yard steal all the food scraps
from our compost bin. The compost bin is located in a natural area
filled w/ oak trees, and of course many, many acorns. I would like to
keep the squirrels away from my food scraps, so that my compost may
benefit from the nutrients. The squirrels won't starve..they can eat
all the darn acorns they want.

Any ideas to keep the squirrels out of the compost? Should I be
cautious about any specific things I might add to the compost to deter
squirrels ie: if I put cayenne pepper on the food scraps would this have
any affect to my lawn next year when I spread cayenne infused compost
across it?

TIA!
heidi