Old 03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
Lyne

Default deer broke off top of tree; how to reattach

Hi.

I have a great book about plant propagation but it doesn't really get
into "troubleshooting".

I had a very healthy apple tree about a year old. I understand that
deer like to rub against the trunks to rub off their velvet. They
managed to break off the trunk leaving all of the good stuff in one
piece on the ground and there is enough bark-covered stump remaining
that I think I can do a graft.

The question is, how?

I stuck the broken treetop in soil with starter fertilizer. I could
not decide whether it was better to leave the frayed end or cut up to
where there was a bump so I left it like it was. It isn't rooting but
it isn't dead either. I've been misting the leaves and branches.
What's next?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Oh yea - I tied deoderant soap to the one tree that escaped attention.
So far, so good.

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.