Old 03-10-2003, 09:16 PM

Default Help with huge rocky area

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:00:17 GMT, "Doria"
wrote:

I have a huge extremely rocky area and I am not sure what will grow best.
The soil is alkaline and is full of weeds. All suggestions are welcome.

Ugh. Sounds challenging.

I think I'd use either containers or raised beds, and 'make'
the soil - fill the containers or raised beds with either a
pre-mixed soil (purchased) or purchased top soil or
purchased mushroom compost, or regular compost - or whatever
you can find, scrounge, or purchase in your area.

This is basically what we've done: we have impossible
heavy, heavy, heavy clay laced with rocks. We used tire
planters and filled them with purchased mushroom compost.

Tire planters:

http://www.tirecrafting.com/03garden...gardengrow.htm

I would have preferred regular raised beds made out of
lumber or cement blocks, but we could not afford the lumber
or cement blocks, and old tires are free.

This has worked very well for us.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/