Old 04-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Bob Hobden

Default New Zealand Palm...Cabbage Tree..

"Mark B" wrote in message
I'm moving house shortly.
How viable is it to move a New Zealand Palm Tree (cordyline?).
It is about 9ft tall.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with such experience.
How deep are the roots and do they take kindly to being relocated.

I'll tell you a story........
Some years ago we had a wall built at the front of our house. To get the
footings in our builder,a friend, dug deep as we had a couple of largish
trees planted there. In order to get the big footings in he had to cut off
and remove a Cordyline that was about 6ft tall, the stem went straight down
and he cut it off at about 3ft down. It didn't seem to have any roots at
all, it was just a trunk ending in a stump.
I came home from work and planted it in our back garden telling Sue it had
two chances. Needless to say it grew away without problem and a couple of
years later we also had a new baby tree coming up from the deep roots in the
front garden. ( this all happened in summer though)
They are both now about 20ft tall.

I think the roots are trying to get home to NZ. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.