Old 30-01-2003, 11:04 PM
Suzanne in CA

Default Sunsprite Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation

Radika Kesavan wrote in message ...
Kirra wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Sunsprite *is* fragrant, ....

I agree with Radika that Sunsprite is fragrant. It was the first rose I
bought before I knew anything about roses and I bought it because of the
fragrance. You know, the rose that smells so nice that you just have to keep
putting it up to your nose so that you can smell it yet again

An added bonus is that I find my two, I like it so much I bought another, do
not get any black spot despite living in a humid climate, overhead watering
three times a week and living next to Double Delight who does get black
spot.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10

Very interesting, Kirra, that the Sunsprite available to you in Brisbane
carries fragrant blossoms.

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

Believe it or not, the same seems to be true of the experience of
finding fragrance in the other rose you mentioned - Double Delight.
Roughly equal number of people in an unscientific survey across the U.
S. seem to think that this rose is heavily fragrant and not at all fragrant.

It is also interesting to hear about the lack of blackspot on Sunsprite
in your garden. Brisbane has a sub-tropical climate, does it not?

Hi!
Another fragrant yellow rose suggestion is Arthur Bell. My husband and
I researched the yellow roses at Vintage Gardens in Sebastopol, CA,
and have been thrilled with Arthur Bell. Once a year, around Mother's
Day, the owners open their private rose garden to the public, which is
when we did our research. The entire garden was abloom with all
shapes, size, colors, and fragrances, all name tagged, so we were able
to easily choose which we preferred.
Hope it helps!
We too have Sunsprite, and while it is not as fragrant as Arthur Bell,
it's shocking yellow color and ruffly blooms are a show stopper. I
tried St. Patrick as my 3rd yellow rose, and was excited by its
greenish hued blooms in the very hot weather, but the fragrance was
pretty much nothing. I am still keeping an eye out for another yellow
fragrant rose to add to my already full garden : )
Check out Arthur Bell - He's a keeper!
Suzanne