Old 04-10-2003, 03:42 AM
gary

Default squirrels eating my compost goodies

I agree with frogleg, let the squirrels have some. The love a little
pepper on it , I tried that.

Gary

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 19:00:14 GMT, Heidi
wrote:

We have an open compost bin, in which I toss leaves, grass clippings,
and food scraps. The squirrels in our yard steal all the food scraps
from our compost bin. The compost bin is located in a natural area
filled w/ oak trees, and of course many, many acorns. I would like to
keep the squirrels away from my food scraps, so that my compost may
benefit from the nutrients. The squirrels won't starve..they can eat
all the darn acorns they want.

Any ideas to keep the squirrels out of the compost?

Why not relax and let 'em steal a bit? I have an open compost pile,
and figure birds and ants and squirrels ('though I haven't seen any
picking through for goodies) pretty much help themselves as
decomposition/re-distribution proceeds. There's still plenty of
compost produced. It sounds as if you're going to be making extra work
and problems for yourself by trying to restrict dining opportunities.
Save the hot pepper for chile/chilli.