Old 04-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default When to harvest pumkins..

Neil Lawrence said:

I am also growing pumpkins for halloween I live in Utah near Salt Lake and
only one of my pumpkins is showing any signs of turning orange. Any Advice?
As a side note I have hundreds of green tomatoes but very few red tomatoes
any sugestions there?

Leave them on the vine until you are forced to pull them (due to frost/freeze).
Ideally, they will be fully colored by then with hard rinds and extremely hard
stems.

Pumpkins that are partly orange may color up if you are forced to pick them
before they are fully ripe. They'll still be suitable for carving. Pumpkins and
squash picked before they are fully ripe won't be as sweet or flavorful as they
should be.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)