Old 04-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Winter lawn cutting height?

CathyLee said:

Some say you should leave the mower on the highest setting for your last
cut to avoid winter kill (my husband) and others say to cut it as low as
possible. Who is correct?. I do my last cut when all the leaves are on
the ground, then I use the mulching mower...

I always start dropping the mowing height as the grass starts to slow down
its growth. My lawn goes into the winter about two notches on the mower
shorter than its summer height (which is as high as the mower can go).

I'll fertilize once more with a fall/winter fertilizer blend.

I put the mowing height all the way up again for the first mowing in the spring.

And I don't use any more fertilizer until Memorial Day.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)