Old 04-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Tom La Bron

Default below 50F - feed or not to feed

Superkitt,

Where is the second pump that you left running drawing its water from? If
it is at the deepest part of the pond you should position it in an area
where the water is shallower. The fish will congregate where the water is
deepest and you do not want to pulling the water from the deepest part of
your pond. You want to leave this area pretty much undisturbed to allow the
water to absorb heat from the ground. If you are constantly pulling water
from the deepest part of the pond you will effect a cooling in that area
making it harder for your fish to sustain their body fat for the winter do
to increased swimming activity. It is a good idea to raise the pump off the
bottom, but leaving it in an area where there is less chance of it freezing
in the ice.

In any event, the whole idea is to leave the water in the deepest part of
the pond where the fish will stay undisturbed by water movement, so it will
absorb warmth from the ground.

HTH

Tom L.L.
"Superkitt" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" wrote in news:blk59o
:

http://www.iheartmypond.com/topic.asp?aid=23

okay, this might sound a bit unusual, but here it goes.

I had alot of liner left over to cover my small pond, I put wood across

the
pond and place the liner over it so the liner would not hit the water,
there is about 6-8 inches of space.

I turned off my main water fall and left a secondary (75gh/hr) pump
splashing water over the surface inside the enclosure leaving only a small
opening where I can look inside or if necessary if a cold front should

come
by I can close it up all the way.

is this a sound idea?

Joel