Old 04-10-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Store Sweet Potatoes

In article . net,=20
says...
We tried Sweet Potatoes for the first time this year. Had an unbelievable
yeild of huge tubers.
=20
So, how can we store them? We'll take some and bake and then freeze. That
won't get the whole crop - the freezer's not that big. I need to be able =

store fresh tubers.
=20
Karl

I found a bit of info from a quick google search.
http://www.ahs.cqu.edu.au/info/scien...weetPotato.htm

Here's some of it:

Curing: Tubers should be cured at 27-34=B0C, 85-95% relative humidity and=
=20
restricted ventilation for 5-20 days before put into longer term=20
storage. This enables new skin to be formed over harvesting injuries and=20
the whole tuber to mature. Curing is complete when the skin cannot be=20
rubbed off and small buds appear . Optimal curing conditions vary with=20
cultivar. If decaying still prevails, iprodione (a fungicide) can be=20
applied in conjunction with curing, preferably via super fine mist.