Old 04-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Peter Crosland

Default Woodpeckers?

All through the winter and into mid-summer I have the pleasure of seeing
several greater spotted woodpeckers visiting my nut feeders each day. About
the end of July the adults and their youngsters disappear. Yesterday I the
first one I have seen for two months appeared. A friend who lives about
twenty miles away has noted the same phenomena year after year. We both live
in Somerset in areas with mature woods and old orchards. Is this some sort
of short distance migration or has anybody got another explanation?