Old 05-10-2003, 04:34 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Questions on chemistry of fruits

Nitpicking time?
It is a synconium and it is turned outside in ;-)

We were both wrong. The spelling is syconium. What is the difference between
outside in and inside out? The flowers of a Ficus, such as they are, are inside
the inflorescence and in wild figs are pollinated by a tiny wasp.

Northern Hemisphere only (and mountains of Africa)

More nitpicking. See A
HREF="http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/cu/ju/"Juniperus description/A
According to this page, The range of the genus is primarily Northern
Hemisphere, with one species to 18 deg. South in Africa.

It is not (a fruit),

Why not? It is a receptacle for the seeds which develops from the female cone.
What else would you call it?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."