Old 05-10-2003, 10:02 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Questions on chemistry of fruits

Nitpicking time?
It is a synconium and it is turned outside in ;-)

Iris Cohen schreef
We were both wrong. The spelling is syconium. What is the difference

between outside in and inside out? The flowers of a Ficus, such as they are,
are inside the inflorescence and in wild figs are pollinated by a tiny wasp.

+ + +
You are right. Very sloppy of me. I took a quick look in my botanical
dictionaries (looking in the wrong spot), could not find it and instead of
digging out the Moraceae literature took a quick stab at the internet.
You can find anything on the internet, including misspellings (google has 1
synconium for every 4 syconium's).

According to my fig book the latin is "syconium" but its english equivalent
should be "sycone". According to Google this is more popular in French than
in English ...

Apparently I am now reaching the point where I am posting too hastily and
should slow down or I might end up like Cereoid ...

As to "outside in" and "inside out", when dealing with a piece of clothing
there is no difference, but in this case the inside is still inside and was
joined by the outside.
+ + +

Northern Hemisphere only (and mountains of Africa)

More nitpicking. See A
HREF="http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conifers/cu/ju/"Juniperus

description/A
According to this page, The range of the genus is primarily Northern
Hemisphere, with one species to 18 deg. South in Africa.

+ + +
Yes, Juniperus procera occurs in Africa, in the mountain ranges, but that is
what I said, isn't it?

This pattern of Northern Hemisphere genera crossing the equator by staying
in the mountains happens a lot. Likely Rhododendron in Australia is also
such a case.
+ + +

It is not (a fruit),

Why not? It is a receptacle for the seeds which develops from the female

cone. What else would you call it?

+ + +
Apparently it is called such things as:
"the female cones consist of three to eight fleshy, pointed scales which

coalesce and finally form a more or less globular body or 'berry'."
PvR