Old 05-10-2003, 05:02 PM
David Hershey

Default Botany Book

Try ebay.com and search for botany book. You can often find college
botany texts from the 1980's or 1990's for a few dollars. Today there
is a 1984 copy of the Northington's college text, The Botanical World,
for $1 starting bid with no bids. Ebay also has a copy of the Botany
Coloring Book, a very nice introductory book now at $3. It retails new
on amazon.com for $13.97 with many used copies starting at $5.95.

My local public library often sells off older botany texts for $1 in
their excess inventory shop.

While you couldn't read it on the plane unless you had a laptop
computer and wireless internet, there is much good botany content on
the internet. The website for the 2000 college text, Principles of
Botany, by Uno, Storey and Moore has lots of free content that
provides a good introduction to botany:
http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/botan...nt_index.mhtml

Other current or recent botany texts to look for used copies of a

Stern, Kingsley R. et al 2003. Introductory Plant Biology, 9th ed. New
York, McGraw Hill (many used copies of previous editions are
available)

Raven, Peter H., Evert, Ray F. and Eichhorn, Susan E. 1999. Biology of
Plants, 6th ed. New York: W H Freeman (probably the most rigorous
introductory text now available)

Rost, Thomas L. et al. 1998. Plant Biology, 1st ed. Belmont, CA:
Wadsworth.

Northington, David K. 1999. The Botanical World, 3rd ed. Dubuque, IA:
Wm. C Brown.

Moore, Randy et al. 1995. Botany, 1st ed. Dubuque, IA: Wm. C Brown.

Here's more botany websites and texts:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=he... le.com&rnum=3

David R. Hershey, Ph.D.

(Scott Brim) wrote in message . com...
I need a beginning Botany text book. any idea. Used ok. The ones on
amazon.com are from $65 to $230. Phew. I just need something to read
on the plane. Thanks, scott