Old 05-10-2003, 06:12 PM
martin

Default The topic line vanished for some reason

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 17:01:43 +0100, Jaques d'Altrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 00:56:11 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

It's the grass that imparts the deep colour to truly free-range
egg yolks.

and not the maize pellets that you feed them?

No.

Greenstuff, wormses, sluggles, incest etc. But maize just provides starch.

I did an experiment on my smallholding: fed chickens in one run layers'
pellets, and in another, layers' pellets and wabbit pellets. The one
with the wabbit pellets (not ·22) had darker yolks.

So afterwards I used to sling in lots of grass cuttings as well as
throw-outs from the local greengrocer.

In France the chickens sold with yellow skins are supposed to be maize
fed.
--
Martin