Old 05-10-2003, 06:42 PM
jane

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:59:39 +0100, "Aphodius"
wrote:

~
~"jane" wrote in a message:.
~ Hi folk
~
~ I was lucky enough to go to this last Tuesday, on the day that it made
~ headline news as they are not expecting to be able to keep on funding
~ it... and not enough folk are going.
~--
~Perhaps like me, they hadn't a clue it is there. A bit late in the day to
~start advertising its existence don't you think?
~

This is apparently one of the criticisms levelled at the management. I
knew of it's existence because of the BBC Gardener of the Year a
couple of years ago, held in the then-bare glasshouse. But apart from
that they haven't said an awful lot. It's within reach of the largest
Welsh cities, yet is struggling badly.

The other main thing is that it is not publicised in England, and
neither was it's plight. I was told by one of the reporters there that
because of devolution they can't go to the UK parliament and get it
propped up - and the Welsh Assembly just doesn't have the funds...
political mess, anyone?

Pity they didn't have a few marketing droids a la Micro$oft...

Kew also is £7.50 to get in and Wisley is now £6. And as was
mentioned, the Eden Project is a tenner. If you want to go to an RHS
show you're looking at silly prices (£9 last weekend on the gate for
the Malvern Autumn show, which I went to en route to Wales and which
was incredibly crowded - but still a fraction of the cost of Chelsea,
£22 this year on a Member's day).

Gardens aren't cheap these days, sadly.

I guess it also says something about the lack of publicity about south
Wales as a holiday destination - the places I went to were stunning.
If anyone wants a cheap break away from it all, go youth hostelling in
the Brecon Beacons... wow. There's red kites, lots of gardens, even
more fantastic countryside, castles, Hay on Wye if you're a bookworm
like I am (bought 34 secondhand books!) and it's unspoilt. Highly
recommended. But do you hear about these places? Nope... possibly why
it's unspoilt!

I am now back to the unwelcome prospect of going back to work
tomorrow...

--
jane

Mark Twain