Old 05-10-2003, 10:32 PM
jane

Default National Botanic Garden of Wales

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:25:04 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

~".........This is apparently one of the criticisms levelled at the
~management. I new of it's existence because of the BBC Gardener of the Year
~a couple of years ago, held in the then-bare glasshouse. But apart from that
~they haven't said an awful lot. .........."
~
~They did a lot to publicise it, but the Press found the development of
~redundant china clay pits with the largest greenhouse I the world far more
~news worthy than the rescue and renovation of an old garden.
~If it hadn't been yet another Millennium project, and there was that thing
~in London that was taking a lot of media space at the time........and that
~****** Dome cost a hell of a lot more and only lasted a year, and had a lot
~of handouts just to get it through that year.

True. I made a conscious effort to Not go to that thing in London. So
did all of my friends, all of whom share your sentiments. Admittedly
we did all trot off to the Eden project in its first week, but that
was made somewhat easier by one of them having access to a Cornish
cottage not far off... so we made a holiday of it.

~
~How is anyone supposed to find it when The capitol of Wales isn't signposted
~till you are almost into Wales.
~Come out of London on the M4 and you soon see Newport listed for mileage,
~but it is a long time before Cardiff is listed. Probably because
~"Westminster" doesn't want people to discover the delights of Wales.
~We're a well kept secrete.

jane decides to blow this secret as there are some stunning gardens
and other places to visit

Llanddeusant YHA is near Aberglasney gardens and Dinefwr (NT: not
open Tues or Weds) castle and gardens, Dryslwyn castle remains (great
view and free to scramble up) and the Botanic garden as well as the
Beacons. Capel-y-Ffin YHA also hosts a Pony Trekking centre and does
day treks regardless of if you've ridden before. The black mountains
round there are just stunning.

Capel-y-Ffin YHA is £9 a night and does full board on top of that, and
Llanddeusant is also £9 a night. Both are in the middle of nowhere,
out of mobile range and fantastic. I hadn't youth hostelled for some
years and was extremely pleasantly surprised. The beds these days have
duvets, individual reading lights at some hostels, and large kitchens
and facilities for walkers.

There are also loads of farmhouse B&Bs.

Aberglasney gardens:
http://www.aberglasney.org/
Dryslwyn:
http://www.castlewales.com/dryslwyn.html
Dinefwr gardens and castle:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scri...PROPERTYID=217
http://www.castlewales.com/dinefwr.html
YHA:
http://www.yha.org.uk/website-yhauk/...gnl/wales.html

and I didn't even scratch the surface of what else there is to do!!!!!

In addition, the autumn colours are just amazing right now...

Have fun....
--
jane

Mark Twain