Old 06-10-2003, 12:05 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Bonsai course for the disabled

In a message dated 10/5/2003 5:39:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

What I'm trying to put together is for the special unit to get funding from
local government. So I need to show the benefits of bonsai for the students.

As far as benefits are concerned I would think the benefits of Bonsai
as a practice would be the same benefit regardless of ones abilities.
One of my oldest Bonsai Buddies, now long deceased, was fond of saying
that Bonsai taught good horticultural practices of pruning, watering, use of
fertilizer and etc. These are skills that transfer to later life in any
gardening hobby even if not a vocation.
I think for persons with disabilities plants are a good choice because
they aren't critical of you if you make a mistake. Most don't bite. They
are cheap to work with as long as you don't buy things labeled "BONSAI." They
can yield fairly rapid results if the right material is chosen.
The man I am working with has a job as a custodian but wants to work
with plants. He has issues involving anger at times. The plants don't care if
he yells at them and pruning can be good anger therapy.
Billy M. Rhodes Ed. S.
Habilitation Employment Coordinator

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --