Old 06-10-2003, 12:32 AM
John Bachman

Default below 50F - feed or not to feed

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 23:12:16 GMT, dhponder
wrote:

Interesting thread and eagerly waiting for more input. So far, I'm
gathering the consensus is you want a bit of circulation at the bottom?
Until last year I've used the method of a couple of airstones slightly
below the surface, which has worked with no loss of fish. Last year, due
to laziness on my part, I left an Oase Pond30 Aerator at the bottom,
which in my mind gave some (minimal) water movement and another opening
in the ice, as well as the usual two airstones (3 or 4" from the
surface), again with no fish loss. I'd really like to see more
discussion on this.

deanna (zone4, SE Idaho)

I too am interested in the airstone issue. I see no logical reason
for keeping the airstone off the bottom of my 40" deep pond. If it is
down there then it will aerate all of the water as it bubbles to the
surface. That is good, right?

It seems to me that circulating the water does a lot of good and
little bad. Or am I wrong on that?

John