Old 06-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Trish Brown

Default Tree recommendations

Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for some suggestions for a tree to plant in my backyard.

I'll be putting in a couple along the side fence, and would like
something that is deciduous, non-invasive, medium height (say up to
5m), and has attractive autumn colour.

It will be pretty much in full sun for most of the year, and we'd like
it to shade the yard from the summer midday sun.

I was thinking of liquid amber, but these grow way too big!

Thanks!
Adrian

Oooo! I think you can't go past a Ginkgo biloba for size, colour and general
gorgeousness! It's called 'the Maidenhair Tree' because it looks just like a
large maidenhair fern and the leaves go a rich golden buttery colour before
dropping in the autumn. My potted Ginkgo is just getting its spring foliage now
and this is a clear, light green - very attractive!

The tree I best recall is the one in the grounds of the University of New
England - it was about 5m high and had a spreading, ball-like shape (although
most other Ginkgos I've seen are more compressed in habit). People came from all
over to photograph this tree for its glorious golden autumn colour! I reckon
you'd love a Ginkgo!

Oh, one other thing! Gingko, being a dioecious living fossil, comes in both male
and female varieties. You want to get a male tree because the fallen fruit of
the female is a bit - ah - stinky in the summer time!

(Do a Google Image search and see what you think!)
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia