Old 06-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Jerome

Default Burlap wrapping for winter

Have been told 2 different ways for applying burlap
to winterize our roses, boxwoods and seedling spruce
trees from 2 different nurseries.

Option 1: Just wrap burlap so it gently touches the
plants , that is dont choke it or leave more
than an inch or so between plant and burlap.
Wrap it two times around. Use 2 prong metal
stakes , about 6 in long , u shape , to hold
burlap.

Option 2: Place 3 wooden stakes about 6 inches away from
plant in circular pattern and staple burlap to
them. Wrap the burlap only 1 time around plant.

OK , whose right? are they both? is there a better approach?
Sounds like alot of wooden stakes for option #2 and concern
that we are going to damage the weed fabric under the mulch bed.
Not sure if plants can breathe OK with option #1 as burlap will
be in contact with good portion of plant although burlap is not
a tight weave.

Thanks!