Old 06-10-2003, 07:32 PM
The Q

Default Heron

"Simon Avery" wrote in message
Hello All

Y'gotta admire the Heron really.

I have a large pond, approx 12' x 50', 24-36" deep. Steep shelving
apart from one sloping edge. Heavily planted and with about 60% of the
free water covered with oxygenators.

In one hour (from dawn to when I let the dogs out), a heron took 9
adult 6" goldfish and approximately 100 2" black immature goldfish.

It's left a single black immature fish that I've been able to see.

Kinda solves my "I've got too many fish, what am I gonna do with
them?" problem.

Herons being generally solitary won't fish close to where other herons are
whic is why life size model herons are available.
Mind you I'd love to know why one was stood in the middle of a dry road on
Sunday morning about half a mile from the nearest water!

The Q