Old 31-01-2003, 02:16 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default Sunsprite Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation

Suzanne in CA wrote:

Hi! Another fragrant yellow rose suggestion is Arthur Bell. My
husband and I researched the yellow roses at Vintage Gardens in
Sebastopol, CA, and have been thrilled with Arthur Bell. Once a year,
around Mother's Day, the owners open their private rose garden to the
public, which is when we did our research. The entire garden was
abloom with all shapes, size, colors, and fragrances, all name
tagged, so we were able to easily choose which we preferred.

Hello, Suzanne. That sounds like a delightful experience.

A friend of mine has Arthur Bell in his garden here, he got it because
of something to do with him being an appreciator of whisky g, and yes,
AB is a very nice rose.

We too have Sunsprite, and while it is not as fragrant as Arthur
Bell, it's shocking yellow color and ruffly blooms are a show
stopper.

Heh, shocking yellow is good for those of us who like our yellows all
the way from soft to shocking. Context is everything.

I tried St. Patrick as my 3rd yellow rose, and was excited by its
greenish hued blooms in the very hot weather, but the fragrance was
pretty much nothing.

I see. I have not been able to get any scent from the St. Patrick in the
San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. If you live in the SF Bay area, you might
visit the garden in spring and check out any rose that you are
considering buying - they may not have EVERY ROSE under the sun, but at
approximately 5000 roses with 4000+ varieties, it is an incredible rose
museum. Here is their web site:

http://www.randomaccesssolutions.com/sjhrg/SJHRG.htm

I am still keeping an eye out for another yellow
fragrant rose to add to my already full garden : )

What else do you grow and how many roses do you have in all?

If you are looking for a softer yellow rose with fragrance, Lady
Hillingdon is fabulous. I like the yellowness and the fragrance of
Toulouse Lautrec as well.

--
Radika
California