Old 06-10-2003, 08:23 PM
David Hill

Default clearing waste land to plant new veg garden

".......... You can get a selection of different apples
grafted to your basic rootstock AFAIK the limit is three different, so you
can have an early cropper a
late cropper and possibly a cooker too. ....."

Sounds good but you might have problems with pollination as many apples need
another variety (Or 2 in some cases) to pollinate them, and they have to be
in flower at the same time.

Reminds me, when I was a lot younger and living in Hastings, our Doctor was
a keen gardener, he had an old apple tree which he cut back HARD, just
leaving stumpy branches, onto these he grafted 24 different apple varieties,
all of which took, I don't know what became of the tree as he and his family
all died when their plane was lost on a flight to Spain a couple of years
later.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries