Old 06-10-2003, 09:40 PM
FBCS

Default below 50F - feed or not to feed

So if I just left my air stones running this would be enough to have the
fish survive. You said in zone 5 you have to do that, so in my zone it would
be okay to keep things running, we do get down t the 30's? I am not worried
about my GF, but am very concerned about my Koi they have grown twice their
size.
wrote in message
here in zone 5 running water over a falls would be sure to build up huge

ice masses
that would eventually divert the water out of the pond (if the strong

winds didnt)
and with the pump on the bottom it would drain the pond. furthermore,

since there is
ice on most of the pond, I wouldnt know about it until spring and the ice

melted that
all my fish had been high and dry.
Air stones move water in a column depending on how strong they are. so

even if they
are not on the bottom they "lighten" the water and that creates a vacuum

that moves
water below the airstone up. the amount of air put out depends on depth.

the deeper
they are the less air they can put into the water. Ingrid

"FBCS" wrote:
I left my submersed pump (on bottom) and falls running all last winter.

It
was the worst winter we have had in many years and all survived and did
fine. I am perplexed now, do I or don't I keep it running, I would think

the
water would be a better quality running and not stagnant. Pond 500 gal,

18"
deep, 1500gal Giant submersible pump. I will be so glad when I finish my

big
pond. Joann

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/