Old 31-01-2003, 03:05 AM
Kirra

Default Sunsprite Fragrant, Yellow rose recommendation

Very interesting, Kirra, that the Sunsprite available to you in Brisbane
carries fragrant blossoms.

Actually, I should have mentioned that Sunsprite is sold as Friesia here in
Australia. I got one of my Sunsprites from a hardware store and the other
from a local nursery and they are both very fragrant.

I am sort of guessing that there are two verions of Sunsprite being
offered in the U. S., one fragrant and the other not, based on all
realiable rose people at different places in the U. S. reoporting two
sets of experiences.

I like the yellow but I do not think I would have bought Sunsprite if it did
not have fragrance. As I said I did not know anything about roses when I
first bought it but I just had to have that smell.

Believe it or not, the same seems to be true of the experience of
finding fragrance in the other rose you mentioned - Double Delight.
Roughly equal number of people in an unscientific survey across the U.
S. seem to think that this rose is heavily fragrant and not at all

fragrant.

I love the fragrance on Double Delight as well. The two Sunsprites and the
Double Delight grace the front of the house near the front door. My friends
are now aware that I have become obsessed with roses since we bought our
house last year and I make them smell Sunsprite and Double Delight whenever
they come over

It is also interesting to hear about the lack of blackspot on Sunsprite
in your garden. Brisbane has a sub-tropical climate, does it not?

Yes, Brisbane is sub-tropical. We have a lot of problems with black spot
here however we are experiencing drought at the moment. Good for the black
spot, bad for the farmers and water catchments.

I had my first Sunsprite in a pot for about six months before I planted it
in June last year. It was right next to Eric the Red and four micro minis
(also in pots). They became completely denuded from black spot and yet my
Sunsprite did not get a single spot (and still has not). I have now dealt
with the others because everytime it threatens to rain I bring Eric the Red,
the four minis and about 5 other bs prone minature roses in pots into my
laundry. The things we do :-)

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10