Old 07-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] question

At 07:30 PM 10/6/2003 -0400, Kelly wrote:
What type of pruning/trimming would encourage my Willow leaf fig to have
more dense foliage (i.e. more leaves on each branch)?

Thanks,
Kelly

Sometimes you have to start over or at least cut way back. There will
probably be better directions on doing a Fig, my directions will be a bit
general.

The basic idea is to get rid of long internodes and force short ones. So
first you look at your tree and note where the leaves form on a
branch. This is an internode.

Illustration below gives an example:

--------\/---------\/---------

Difference between pinching sooner than later.

-----^------^--- Sooner
_____________V_______________V____________ Later

So if your tree has really long internodes, I would trim back to the first
internode and then do rapid pinching on new growth.

This is what you aim for:

V V
\__

^

Or somthing like that.

The tree has to be very healthy and vigorous to survive this treatment.

Don't do this until someone else gives you specific culture on figs.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++