Old 07-10-2003, 10:02 AM
John & Angela Cran

Default Lilly Pilly Surface Roots

The tree is at least 15 Metre's high, I cant' get my arms around the trunk.
Due to the size of this thing I don't have much room in my backyard that
isn't in shade and the tree is almost on the fenceline..
I have thought about the paving/mulching/sand ideas but it means I loose my
backyard entirely (well almost).
Pavers wouldnt last more than 12 mths before they were uprooted (oh dear) by
the relentless upward push of the roots.

So I am still considering the big chainsaw option...(of course I can only do
this if the council gives it nod...Pity it's not an Oleander)

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
Chookie writes:
How big is the tree? Have you considered a good layer of mulch

(woodchips or
gravel)? Not touching the trunk, I hasten to say.

Might also be able to wall around part of the area near the tree, cover
the roots there with woodchips or weed mat and pile on washed river sand
for a shaded sand pit area for the kid. The area then won't be wasted.
Treat it as a temporary thing, and remove the sand in a year or two. The
tree might not like it in the long term.

Don't use salt-water sand, the salt might kill the tree.