Old 07-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] new idea

In a message dated 10/7/2003 12:06:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Okay, I just thought of something that I don't really
know if it is going to work, but hopefully it will.
This is regarding to my idea of my science fair.
I was thinking of finding the possibility of a tree
cancer.

There are people on the list with degrees in plant pathology so
hopefully they will respond.
But, I don't know of any cancers (as I understand the term) that
infect plants.
Plants are attacked by insects, weather, bacteria and virus.
A lot of research has been done in these areas by the USDA.
Most attacks on plants are harmful, although a few are beneficial.
There are many beneficial insects.
One virus (I think, might be bacteria) causes the leaves of red
poinsettias to have white streaks. Since people like this variation in poinsettias
so those with the virus are cultivated and sold at a higher price than healthy
plants.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --