Old 07-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Containers on a flat roof?

In article ,
Christopher Norton writes:

| My flat roof is made by flat concrete panels.........
|
| Then I`m of no use whatsoever. I`m a timber engineer. Chances are tho
| that the design requirements are the same. BS codes have that effect
| now. If it`s old then I`d be very carefull.

VERY careful. Most timber tends to fail gracefully, so you get some
warning. Concrete doesn't.

| They should all have some fallaway on them now to get rid of water. Most
| problems with flat roofs are that cowboys have put them up with no
| consideration for design and so there are a lot out there with 50 x 100
| joists. Thats where problems start.

That's OK for roofs of a metre or so span :-)

I built a pergola with a 4 metre 100x100mm main beam, and have
regretted it! It sags. Not a real problem, but a bit annoying
to the eye. I should have used 100x150mm - 100x200mm would have
looked wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.