Old 07-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] new idea

-----Original Message-----

One virus (I think, might be bacteria) causes the leaves of red
poinsettias to have white streaks. Since people like this variation in poinsettias
so those with the virus are cultivated and sold at a higher price than healthy
plants.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Back in the "Tulipmania" of the 1600s, virus-infected tulips with streaked flowers were sold at higher prices than other tulips; however, aphids would spread the streaking to pure-color tulips, so these kinds of cultivars were abandoned in favor of strea

ked tulips caused by genetic mutation. I am positive than no virus-infected poinsettias are on the market! But it's absolutely amazing what breeders have done with poinsettias; they are pink, yellow, spotted, striped, curled and crisped....

There's a new powdery mildew on poinsettia, and we've tried in vain to convince growers that the white spots look like christmas snow on the petals......

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++