Old 07-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Simon Avery

Default Heron

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote:

Hello Jeanne

JS We finally put an electric fence round the pond (4 strands
JS of wire) and this has certainly done the trick. Might seem a
JS bit OTT but we really were getting desperate. The wire won't

I'm not that fussed tbh. The fish had bred so much they had taken over
what was intended to be a mostly wildlife pond and although I didn't
really want them all gone I'm just not prepared to take the anti-heron
measures that seem to be neccessary. A wildlife pond with any wire
around it doesn't look right, and a plastic heron might be considered
"twee", and that's an image I'm trying to avoid!

So it's not unexpected and I could have prevented it, but didn't want
to pay the costs. I was just admiring the speed and skill with which
he cleared me out, like a high class fishburgler.

I'd undoubtably be a lot more miffed if I they were in any way
valuable, or if I was breeding them deliberately though. I can
understand why Trago Mills' founder was prepared to go to jail for
shooting 'em even if I wouldn't do anything like that myself.