Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Andrew Glass

Default growing fir cones and horse chestnut?

Bry wrote:

I've picked up a few fir cones and horse chestnut seeds recently.

The fir cone is from a botanical garden, and is from this really
unusual rare tree, so I'm hoping it will grow. My only problem is, how
do I go about growing it... I've never done this before, so my first
idea was planting the whole thing in a pot, but I'd rather have some
advice before I do this?

The horse chestnut is just a regular one and I'm sure I can simply
plant this, but any advice on how to grow it would be welcome.

Oh, I just remembered. I also have found this vine which was a dark red
colour with purple berrys! No idea what it was, but I got a few berrys
and hope to grow some. Should I plant the whole berry or extract the
seeds from it first?

Thanks in advance,
Bry
--
Bry

I planted a few mixed firs and pines taken from cones this spring and
many of them are doing very well (in fact I'm wondering what I'm going
to do with the 40 of them growing in pots).

Some seeds (depending on the species)seem to need to feel a touch of
frost before they'll germinate. This can be best done by planting in the
autumn and leaving outside over winter. It may take several months for
anything to happen so best to use a covered tray and just check it every
week or so in the spring. The seeds from cones I've planted in the past
have been collected in the early sping when they have already had this.
Check the species though.

I'd certainly recommend planting in a seed tray and then transferring to
pots when the seedlings have grown enough. Then you can decide where to
plant them later.

If the cone has not yet opened place it it a warm sunny spot (indoors)
for a few days, this normally does the trick. Even if the cone doesn't
open fully you can still get some perfectly good seeds out using a pair
of tweezers and a little brute force (worked for me.

Whish reminds me I have some scots pine and birch seeds to plant soonish.

I have to say that trees have to be the most rewarding plant to grow
from seed - but you need a lot of space which unfortunately I don't
have. Luckily my parents do and regularly like to plant a few more trees
on the property :-)

Andrew