Old 08-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Kenni Judd

Default Oncidium Sharry Baby

Sharry Baby _gets_ leaf spotting. The current theory is that it's a
reaction to heat, whether that's true or not I am not sure, but I think it's
likely, because I've seen plants grown cooler [but still with bright light]
that don't get it. What I do know for sure is that here in south Florida,
anyone who's ever grown one will tell you that a plant without leafspots is
_not_ Sharry Baby.

Many of the other thin-leaved oncid hybrids also tend toward leafspot, at
least under our hot humid conditions, including Colm. Wildcat. As long as
the spots are hard and dry, as opposed to soft or mushy, we don't worry
about them.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"TB" wrote in message
.com...
It's in the window but generally behind a sheer drapery during the day.

The
ends of the leaves were getting a few dark brown spots and the edges also
turn yellow to brown. I though it might be from direct sunlight
occasionally but perhaps it's insufficient humidity? I can try a pebble
tray.

You grew them outdoors without a greenhouse?

I'm in the East Bay not more than a couple of miles from the water so temp
variation is not extreme.

Thank you,
TB

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Can you increase the subdued light? Move it closer to the window? Low

light
levels is the usual reason why orchids don't rebloom. I wouldn't worry

about
the temps, I used to grow this outside here in the SF Bay Area.

K Barrett