Old 08-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Spring afternoon, after pruning

"Jim Purdie" wrote in message

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message

A garden is an art. A place of artifice. None the less so as it also

appears
to have its own will, growing under the guidance, but not the direction

or
rule of the gardener. So it is with pruning.

Is that a metaphor for the growth of an organism under the guidance of its
genome?

No, actually, it was all very simple stuff. Still, you can make of it what
you will, and I agree that it is pretty close to our own childhood, and
considering us the garden's of our parents is, I'd agree, a lovely
metaphor - I'll tell my father and he'll either love it, or puke.

--
The American President is a coward who was at the head of a venal and
corrupt administration. This really is a completely unsupportable government