Old 09-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default New Japanese Maple damaged while planting - repair advice needed

The message
from (CP) contains these words:

All:

After carefully choosing a very nice 5ft Japenese maple and taking
delivery of it, our landscaper slightly damaged the tree while moving
it from the pot into the ground. Where a two branch fork exists, the
tree split 1-2 inches right down the middle of the fork. The
landscaper used duct tape to pull the split back together and told us
the tree should heal in a few weeks. If this repair does not work,
the tree will be lost as the two forked brances that I'm describing
are two of three main growths from the tunk.

Is this the right way to repair the split?

No, it's an incompetent bodge. Duct tape is the wrong stuff to use. IF
he had used the correct material, the tree might make new bark growth
around the split. However, that spot would always be a scar weakness in
the worst possible place, where disease or rot will probably get in and
ruin the tree in later years. If he's competent at his job, he knows
that and is not telling you. If he isn't competent....:-(.

P.S. The reason I ask is because our landscaper was less than honest
that he did the damage, claiming the split was there when he went to
plant it.

Learn the lesson he's taught you twice; he can't be trusted. I'd
refuse to accept damaged goods and deduct its full cost from any payment
to him.

Be wary if he offers to bring you a replacement because with his record
he might just put the split tree's label onto a cheaper inferior maple;
it's autumn so you wouldn't know till the new leaves come next year.

Janet