Old 09-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Rod

Default Australian Tea Tree - Manuka?

"brenroamin" wrote in message
s.com...
hi: i'm a newbie here and this is my 1st ever post!

anyway, just discovered a brilliant plant called Manuka -Leptospermum
scoparium which is native to New Zealand and am very interested in it's
healing qualities (meant to be 30x more potent than the usual tea tree
(Melaleuca Alternifolia) as it's got so much more to offer ie., the
honey is used in NZ hospitals for wounds; arthritis, muscle pain etc.,
) The plant looks a bit like heather but the flowers are small and
pink, and grows i think, upto 8ft high, but generally shrubby-like.

i would like to know whether anyone has tried to grow this at all. i've
seen a plant that i can buy online (£7.50), but i'd like to see whether
i can grow it from seed first. i live in Notts and i have a (unheated)
greehouse that i can borrow. my garden's semi shaded, and quite
well-sheltered.

i know it's rather obscure this plant, so i'm not sure whether any of
you know it!
anyway, thanx for looking
xb
--
brenroamin

Gotta couple here I grew from seed in the spring. Watch this space. L. lanigerum has already survived 2 winters
here.

Rod