Old 09-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Ric

Default human urine as fertiliser

"ken cohen" wrote in message
om...
On our allotment there is no functioning toilet, and my thoughts have
recently turned to the topic of composting human manure. I've been
checking out various things on the internet, and composting human
faeces seems to be fraught with all kinds of difficulties. But some
people are suggesting that it makes a lot of sense to focus more on
keeping urine separate from faeces, and using it as a rich
bacteria-free source of nitrogen, pottasium and phosphorus. You need
to dilute it with water (one suggestion was 1:8) before it is usable.
But is it then usable immediately? Anyone tried it? Isn't there
going to be a serious problem with smell? Are there any legal issues
to be considered?

I don't know whether it is relevant to your lotment situation, but my uncle
irrigates his garden with a pump into his septic tank. The fluid that comes
out of the septic tank is clear but full of nutrients. It does not smell at
all bad.