Old 09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
DLee

Default Which is right..?

Hi All

This is more newbie question from a newbie gardener for you.

I am planning to lay slabs in our middle of the backgarden, so we can have
extra patio ares and also put a shed there.
I ahve not done this work before, and I was watching TV DIY program, and
also read DIY books from the library. But they are teling different stories.

The books says that you must dig 1 ft deep, and then put hardcore for 0.5 ft
and level it, then put sand and then slabs can be laid on it.

Tommy Walsh in H&L channel DIY program was teaching his students - just make
motar (5 builders sand + 1 cement), and he just put them on the flattened
soil, and then laid slabs on it. No hardcore, no sand.. - surely this will
create drainage problem, and due to soil movement - slabs will go up and
down in a few years?

What do you advise on this?

cheers

Dan